EngEDU 1/2015
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

EngEDU 1/2015

Forum for English Major students, Faculty of Education, Mahasarakham University, Thailand

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Selecting songs to use in the class

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Nittaya022
ครูเชี่ยวชาญพิเศษ
ครูเชี่ยวชาญพิเศษ
Nittaya022

Selecting songs to use in the class Empty
PostSubject: Selecting songs to use in the class   Selecting songs to use in the class Empty27th November 2015, 9:42 pm

The process of selecting a song is one of the most difficult aspects of using music in a lesson. Here are some things you probably need to think about to ensure you get the right song.

Carefully examine what it is you want your class to learn in the lesson

Is this going to be a lesson focusing on vocabulary, grammar, pronunciation, or a particular topic? I once used ‘You’re so vain’ by Carly Simon to introduce a text that looked at vain people. In another lesson, I used ‘In the air tonight’ as it uses the present perfect continuous tense. Whatever your focus, remember that this doesn’t necessarily place a limit on what you can do with the song. For instance, you might wish to use the song in question to exemplify a particular verb tense, and structure your lesson accordingly, but you might at the same time wish to take the opportunity to look at those interesting idioms in the lyrics!

Think about the language level of your class

The language level of your class will determine not only which songs you can use, but also what other activities – such as games or written exercises – you will use to develop the lesson. Lower levels will become extremely frustrated with fast-delivered lyrics, for instance, while simple repetitive lyrics might not be interesting for more advanced-level learners.

How old are your learners?

If you’re a teacher of young learners, you will probably want to use songs that are repetitive and very easy to understand. For teenagers, however, use contemporary or fairly recent pop and rock songs. My advice: it’s often best to ask them ‘what’s cool’. Alternatively, for adult learners, who will probably have a more open approach to classes, use songs that are interesting to their age group.

What kind of access do you have to the song?

Let’s face it, this is the age of YouTube and you can find practically any song on this website. Nevertheless, an mp3, which doesn’t require a connection, or even a good old-fashioned CD, can often be a useful backup.

Nittaya022  3EN
Back to top Go down
pakkapon031
ครูเชี่ยวชาญพิเศษ
ครูเชี่ยวชาญพิเศษ
pakkapon031

PostSubject: Re: Selecting songs to use in the class   Selecting songs to use in the class Empty27th November 2015, 10:39 pm

Song for learning

You can also call it Lead in.
It's the specific way to get your students know the idea of what are you going to teach.
also really make some fun for them in the same time.

It can be used for many reason such as to relax, to improve listening skill
to discuss about something.

I love song and music very much and I will use it If I can in the next class room teaching.

Thanks for sharing Wink

Pakkapon 031 3EN
Back to top Go down
Naruechaya053
ผู้อำนวยการ
ผู้อำนวยการ
Naruechaya053

PostSubject: Re: Selecting songs to use in the class   Selecting songs to use in the class Empty29th November 2015, 12:24 am

If you got song song already so I will suggest you six steps for making a song
the focus of your class.
1. Listen to the song
That’s it – start things off by just listening. It’s important to remember that this is supposed to be a fun activity; don’t make it too serious or boring.
2. Ask some questions about the title
Here are a couple of examples of the types of questions you can ask:
For John Lennon’s wonderful ‘Jealous Guy’:
‘What is a ‘jealous guy’?’
‘What are three things a jealous guy might do?’
‘What kinds of jealousy are there?’
3. Listen to the song again, this time with lyrics
This time, you should give learners the chance to read the lyrics to the song.
4. Focus on a particular verb tense or aspect of grammar
Virtually every song centres on a particular verb tense. This is too good an opportunity to pass up in terms of uncovering the grammar. My suggestion is to start with questions such as these:
How many examples can you find of the past simple in the lyrics?
Why did the writer of this song choose this verb tense?
5. Focus on vocabulary, idioms and expressions
We’ve noted that many songs bend the rules of grammar. It’s also useful to focus on the creative and artistic use of vocabulary we encounter in lyrics. Start with questions like this
What does ‘__idioms/vocabulary___'mean?
6. Round things off with some creativity
Creativity is an important part of maintaining motivation but it shouldn’t be limited to the teaching

Naruechaya 053 3EN
Back to top Go down
Naruechaya053
ผู้อำนวยการ
ผู้อำนวยการ
Naruechaya053

PostSubject: Re: Selecting songs to use in the class   Selecting songs to use in the class Empty29th November 2015, 12:28 am

Needless to say most learners love singing songs in English. Why not accompany the songs with some extra expressions?
• The first/second verse.
• The first/last line.
• The chorus.
• Let’s sing a song!
• Everybody join in.
• Everybody together.
• Just the boys. Just the girls!
• Listen carefully.
• Listen first, then sing.
• Do the actions!
• Copy me!

Naruechaya 053 3EN
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Selecting songs to use in the class   Selecting songs to use in the class Empty

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1