EngEDU 1/2015
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

EngEDU 1/2015

Forum for English Major students, Faculty of Education, Mahasarakham University, Thailand

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

5 Quick Classroom-Management Tips for Novice Teachers

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Fern_Thanachit015
ครูชำนาญการพิเศษ
ครูชำนาญการพิเศษ
Fern_Thanachit015

5 Quick Classroom-Management Tips for Novice Teachers Empty
PostSubject: 5 Quick Classroom-Management Tips for Novice Teachers   5 Quick Classroom-Management Tips for Novice Teachers Empty1st December 2015, 5:52 pm

I made a good number of blunders my first year teaching that still make me cringe. I learned though. And it's fair to say, when it comes to managing a classroom, most of what we learn as new teachers is trial by fire. It's also smart to heed the advice of those who have walked -- and stumbled -- before you. If you are struggling with discipline, here are five tips that you can start using right away:

#1 Use a normal, natural voice
Are you teaching in your normal voice? Every teacher can remember this from the first year in the classroom: spending those first months talking at an above-normal range until one day, you lose your voice.

Raising our voice to get students' attention is not the best approach, and the stress it causes and the vibe it puts in the room just isn't worth it. The students will mirror your voice level, so avoid using that semi-shouting voice. If we want kids to talk at a normal, pleasant volume, we must do the same.

You want to also differentiate your tone. If you are asking students to put away their notebooks and get into their groups, be sure to use a declarative, matter-of-fact tone. If you are asking a question about a character in a short story, or about contributions made by the Roman Empire, use an inviting, conversational tone.

#2 Speak only when students are quiet and ready
This golden nugget was given to me by a 20-year veteran my first year. She told me that I should just wait and then wait some more until all students were quiet.

So I tried it; I fought the temptation to talk. Sometimes I'd wait much longer than I thought I could hold out for. Slowly but surely, the students would cue each other: "sshh, she's trying to tell us something," "come on, stop talking," and "hey guys, be quiet." (They did all the work for me!)

My patience paid off. Yours will too. And you'll get to keep your voice.

#3 Use hand signals and other non-verbal communication
Holding one hand in the air, and making eye contact with students is a great way to quiet the class and get their attention on you. It takes awhile for students to get used to this as a routine, but it works wonderfully. Have them raise their hand along with you until all are up. Then lower yours and talk.

Flicking the lights off and on once to get the attention is an oldie but goodie. It could also be something you do routinely to let them know they have three minutes to finish an assignment or clean up, etc.

With younger students, try clapping your hands three times and teaching the children to quickly clap back twice. This is a fun and active way to get their attention and all eyes on you.

#4 Address behavior issues quickly and wisely
Be sure to address an issue between you and a student or between two students as quickly as possible. Bad feelings -- on your part or the students -- can so quickly grow from molehills into mountains.

Now, for handling those conflicts wisely, you and the student should step away from the other students, just in the doorway of the classroom perhaps. Wait until after instruction if possible, avoiding interruption of the lesson. Ask naive questions such as, "How might I help you?" Don't accuse the child of anything. Act as if you do care, even if you have the opposite feeling at that moment. The student will usually become disarmed because she might be expecting you to be angry and confrontational.

And, if you must address bad behavior during your instruction, always take a positive approach. Say, "It looks like you have a question" rather than, "Why are you off task and talking?"

When students have conflicts with each other, arrange for the students to meet with you at lunch, after or before school. Use neutral language as you act as a mediator, helping them resolve the problem peacefully, or at least reach an agreeable truce.

#5 Always have a well-designed, engaging lesson
This tip is most important of all. Perhaps you've heard the saying, if you don't have a plan for them, they'll have one for you. Always overplan. It's better to run out of time than to run short on a lesson.

From my own first-hand experience and after many classrooms observations, something that I know for sure: Bored students equal trouble! If the lesson is poorly planned, there is often way too much talking and telling from the teacher and not enough hands-on learning and discovery by the students. We all know engaging lessons take both serious mind and time to plan. And they are certainly worth it -- for many reasons

Reference: Rebecca Alber

Thanachit 015 3EN
Back to top Go down
Fern_Thanachit015
ครูชำนาญการพิเศษ
ครูชำนาญการพิเศษ
Fern_Thanachit015

PostSubject: Re: 5 Quick Classroom-Management Tips for Novice Teachers   5 Quick Classroom-Management Tips for Novice Teachers Empty1st December 2015, 7:49 pm

Be Professional

Be professional in dress, manner, and attitude from the first minute that you are present in the classroom.
Act professionally in public.
Use language appropriately. Don't resort to using slang too often.
Speak clearly and loudly enough to be heard.
Don't be late to class.
Don't come late to staff meetings.
When dealing with confrontation, maintain your composure.
Know when to compromise.
State your opinion -- let others know where you stand.
Have a positive attitude.
Establish a good rapport with parents and administration.
Keep good, strong lines of communication open between you and the parents.
Don't be afraid to call parents if one of your students is having problems in class. Many parents have no idea how well their children are doing in school until report card time rolls around, so they will appreciate your efforts to keep them informed.
Don't be afraid to call or meet with parents. They are probably just as curious about you as you are about them. In fact, knowing them might help you to better understand their child.
Call or write parents when their son or daughter does something good or improves in class. Don't limit communication to bad news.
Encourage parents to be proud of their children.
Show students that you care about their lives, and show the parents that you care about their children's progress.
When conducting parent-teacher conferences, have handouts ready for the parents that include your philosophy, your grading policy, your attendance policies and their child's grades.
Get to know the principal of your school. Invite the principal to sit in on your class when he or she has a chance and ask for any suggestions that might improve your teaching. Good rapport with the administration is invaluable.
Ask other teachers, even the principal, for advice.
Use discretion in deciding which teachers to approach for information. Don't be suspicious -- be observant and selective.
Show respect to the cooperating teacher and the other faculty.
Cooperate with your colleagues, be willing to ask them for help and be open to offering your advice.
Get to know the custodian and the secretary.
Ask for a student handbook and a teacher's handbook. Be familiar with administrative expectations and procedures.
Familiarize yourself with departmental policies.
Read the latest research manuals in your field.
Attend workshops regularly.
Know your rights as a teacher (union contracts/district rules).
Know the resources or how to make proper referrals for special education, discipline, etc.
When conferencing with students in a private office, always leave the door open.
Never touch your students.
Remember that the way you solve problems will become a model for your students when they encounter problems.
Never share really personal information with your students. It is important to maintain a teacher-student relationship with them.
Devise a detailed rationale. Know and explain why your students should meet your objectives.
Back to top Go down
Fern_Thanachit015
ครูชำนาญการพิเศษ
ครูชำนาญการพิเศษ
Fern_Thanachit015

PostSubject: Re: 5 Quick Classroom-Management Tips for Novice Teachers   5 Quick Classroom-Management Tips for Novice Teachers Empty1st December 2015, 8:02 pm

Be Organized

It is important to feel prepared as well as look prepared.
Thoroughly prepare lecture notes, mini-lessons, questions for discussion, and class activities each day.
If you expect your students to have all of their materials, then your should have yours, too.
Clearly state objectives and exactly what you expect on assignments -- students need a picture sometimes.
The students always want to know what is due and when. Write assignments on the board daily and verbally remind them of due dates.
Give students plenty of advance warning regarding assignment due dates, and give students a copy of the syllabus early in the semester. It is also a good idea to mail a copy of the syllabus home to students' parents.
Set grading criteria for letter grades on all tests and essays before giving them to the students.
When grading students' writing assignments, give them a cover sheet with a checklist. Check any mechanical or organizational mistakes the students make on the checklist. This way, the students know exactly why they received the grade they did.
To save time and prevent confusion, before handing back student papers, tests, and homework, categorize them by seating arrangement or alphabetize them.
In order to avoid the "who-needs-what-paper" dilemma because he or she was absent, keep a file. If a student is absent, put the student's name on the top of the handout, and keep it for when the student returns.
Have students take responsibility for their absent peers. They can collect handouts and assignments and put them in a folder designed for that purpose.
Acquire a school calendar so that you'll know when students have days off and when other important activities are scheduled.
Keep a schedule of each class in a plastic cover. If you give a student permission to leave for the library, restroom, or somewhere else, use a dry erase marker to indicate on the plastic cover where the student has gone.
Keep manuals in one place.
Keep your desk and files organized.
Keep two folders for student work for each period you teach, one for papers you have graded and one for papers you haven't graded yet. This is especially helpful if your students are turning in a lot of papers each week.
Be sure to have a record of lesson plans.
A good way to organize the material you collect is to keep binders for each teaching unit.
Try to keep track of the books you loan out. Using note cards for each book, write the names of the students who check out your books, and keep a book file.
Back to top Go down
Fern_Thanachit015
ครูชำนาญการพิเศษ
ครูชำนาญการพิเศษ
Fern_Thanachit015

PostSubject: Re: 5 Quick Classroom-Management Tips for Novice Teachers   5 Quick Classroom-Management Tips for Novice Teachers Empty1st December 2015, 8:03 pm

Be Patient

Give students enough thinking time.
Don't tell your students the answer simply because a few seconds have passed in silence. Wait longer, minutes even, before restating the question, but don't answer it yourself.
If students don't respond to a question right away, or if they express confusion, ask lead-in questions.
Remember that students will be absent, so don't get too frustrated when having to reschedule assignments and activities.
Realize and accept that not all students will remain at the same level academically.
Listen attentively to students' problems.
Back to top Go down
Fern_Thanachit015
ครูชำนาญการพิเศษ
ครูชำนาญการพิเศษ
Fern_Thanachit015

PostSubject: Re: 5 Quick Classroom-Management Tips for Novice Teachers   5 Quick Classroom-Management Tips for Novice Teachers Empty1st December 2015, 8:06 pm

Be a Real Person, and Honor Each Student as a Real Person

Treat your students with respect at all times. Never embarrass a student or make a student feel bad about himself or herself.
Never use sarcasm toward your students.
Be firm, but be flexible, when it's needed.
Don't dislike any student -- dislike behaviors or attitudes.
Make an effort to include all students.
Keep prejudice out of the classroom.
Encourage leadership and confidence in all students.
Encourage students to dream.
Recognize students who do outstanding work as well as those who need to improve.
Always let students know when they have done a good job.
Don't be an enforcer or know-it-all. Let the students see the real you.
Do not pretend to be all-knowing -- we all learn together.
Admit when you are wrong.
If you make a mistake, don't give up. Keep trying until you get it right. It is OK for a student to see a teacher mess up -- this makes teachers seem more like real people.
Do not be unapproachable.
Do not follow the "Never Smile before Thanksgiving" rule.
Smile. Enthusiasm is an important ingredient for a good learning environment.
Maintain a sense of humor with students.
Know students as well as you can. Know their strengths and weaknesses.
Know the students' names. This will help establish a good rapport with them.
Be a good listener.
Let students know that if they have a problem, they can share it in confidence with you.
Let your students know that you enjoy your job and that you want to be with them.
Back to top Go down
Fern_Thanachit015
ครูชำนาญการพิเศษ
ครูชำนาญการพิเศษ
Fern_Thanachit015

PostSubject: Re: 5 Quick Classroom-Management Tips for Novice Teachers   5 Quick Classroom-Management Tips for Novice Teachers Empty1st December 2015, 8:08 pm

Be Sensible with Discipline

Establish firm ground rules regarding class conduct on the first day of class and stick to those rules. Having a firm discipline policy laid out at the beginning of the school year is essential for new teachers.
Always make clear to students what you expect and follow through.
Know the school's discipline policy and adhere to it.
Always document discipline problems, especially recurring ones. You may need this documentation when talking to parents or administrators.
Don't be afraid to talk to fellow teachers about problems you are having or to the school counselors -- that's what they are there for.
Be sure to let parents know early if there is a problem.
Don't let problems occur more than three times without doing something about them. If necessary, take students out into the hall and discuss problems there or ask the student to stay after school to work out problems.
Avoid confrontations in the classroom at all costs!
Do not argue with a student during class. Discuss the problem one-on-one after class.
Have solid rules and procedures for discipline. Do not send every discipline problem to the principal because it will show that you cannot handle your class. Keep the discipline and the students inside of the classroom.
Do not be too strict in class. Do not yell or reprimand students each time they talk out of turn or break the silence. Give students some freedom.
In disciplining, don't approach students from an adversarial standpoint. Let them know that the rules are designed to provide guidance so that everyone has the opportunity to achieve without any interference from others.
Let students know that you have confidence in them, and that you have set high expectations for their achievement. Affirm positive behavior and achievement.
Be consistent in the way you deal with students; don't offer special treatment or excessive punishment to anyone, ever.
Respond fairly and wisely.
Give the students the benefit of the doubt.
If a student is acting up, try standing near the student and make clear eye contact with him or her. Giving the student a stern look works well too.
Walk around the class. Move about through their desks and make your presence known. This increases attention.
Do not judge your students by your own personal standards.
Make the rules and punishments reasonable.
Be authoritative, not authoritarian.
Set the tone for the day if you go on a field trip. Discreetly let students know that you are still the authority, even though you are in a different environment from that of the school.
"Never let them see you sweat." If they know they can walk all over you, they will. (crying isn’t a good idea either…)
Back to top Go down
Fern_Thanachit015
ครูชำนาญการพิเศษ
ครูชำนาญการพิเศษ
Fern_Thanachit015

PostSubject: Re: 5 Quick Classroom-Management Tips for Novice Teachers   5 Quick Classroom-Management Tips for Novice Teachers Empty1st December 2015, 8:10 pm

Be Aware of Your Own Needs

Give yourself relaxation or "self" time every day, even if it is only thirty minutes.
Take time out to deal with stress when it does happen.
Don't take on more activities than you can handle. Learn to say, "No!"
Try to get enough sleep and exercise.
Inform your significant others that you will be busy.
Read and write for yourself
Strive for excellence, not perfection.
Reflect, reflect, reflect… and modify following reflection
Back to top Go down
Aekachai047
ครูชำนาญการพิเศษ
ครูชำนาญการพิเศษ
Aekachai047

PostSubject: Re: 5 Quick Classroom-Management Tips for Novice Teachers   5 Quick Classroom-Management Tips for Novice Teachers Empty1st December 2015, 10:23 pm

this new information is useful for teachers mostly for novice teachers how to keep my students innovative and good environment inside the class.
I will use these techniques in my classes.

Aekkachai 3EN 047
Back to top Go down
Farada061
ครูชำนาญการ
ครูชำนาญการ
Farada061

PostSubject: Re: 5 Quick Classroom-Management Tips for Novice Teachers   5 Quick Classroom-Management Tips for Novice Teachers Empty1st December 2015, 11:07 pm

Thank you Thanachit for a good new knowledge.
I hope all of these are very useful for me and my student in the classroom.

Farada 061 3EN
Back to top Go down
Sudarat059
ผู้อำนวยการ
ผู้อำนวยการ
Sudarat059

PostSubject: Re: 5 Quick Classroom-Management Tips for Novice Teachers   5 Quick Classroom-Management Tips for Novice Teachers Empty1st December 2015, 11:17 pm

Wow, you give me a lot information for this classroom management.
Now, I have an idea for manage my future classroom.
Thank you for sharing this information, it is very helpful.

Sudarat 059  3EN
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 5 Quick Classroom-Management Tips for Novice Teachers   5 Quick Classroom-Management Tips for Novice Teachers Empty

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1