EngEDU 1/2015
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

EngEDU 1/2015

Forum for English Major students, Faculty of Education, Mahasarakham University, Thailand

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Extending English Language Learners' Classroom Interactions Using the Response Protocol : Responses that are correct

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Farada061
ครูชำนาญการ
ครูชำนาญการ
Farada061

Extending English Language Learners' Classroom Interactions Using the Response Protocol : Responses that are correct Empty
PostSubject: Extending English Language Learners' Classroom Interactions Using the Response Protocol : Responses that are correct   Extending English Language Learners' Classroom Interactions Using the Response Protocol : Responses that are correct Empty1st December 2015, 10:39 pm

Responses that are correct

If a student responds with a suitable answer to a teacher-generated question, the teacher may be gratified by the student's confirmation of the teaching-learning process. Most teachers praise students for correct responses. However, if the question-answer sequence attends to low-level thinking processes (e.g., recall, yes or no items, confirmational queries), teachers can make appropriate use of praise (Brophy, 1981), but they should also encourage students to elaborate their responses. ELLs know more than they might readily speak of, so even when giving an appropriate response, they should be encouraged to tell more, to explain their answers, or to elaborate their responses (see Table 1). Another element to add to appropriate responses is a confirmation that the student's use of English is effective. Even if uttered in nonstandard English, if the message is comprehensible and evidences the student's understanding, commenting about the correctness and comprehensibility of the English should serve to encourage participation and elaboration on the part of the student.

For example, once during a shared reading about reptiles with a small group of English language learners, a boy named Jorge was very interested in the section on turtles. He excitedly responded to the teacher's open-ended question, "What do you know about turtles?"

Jorge: Turtles can go.
Teacher: Yes, turtles can go, but where and how?
Jorge: Turtles go maybe fast over.
Teacher: Jorge, tell me more about how turtles go?
Jorge: A turtle go over the road to be safe. I know because I saw it.
Teacher: Yes, Jorge, turtles sometimes cross over the road. I have also seen turtles cross a road, and I am glad when they make it all the way across, aren't you?
Jorge: Yeah, go, go turtles!

Farada 061
Back to top Go down

Extending English Language Learners' Classroom Interactions Using the Response Protocol : Responses that are correct
Page 1 of 1