EngEDU 1/2015
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

EngEDU 1/2015

Forum for English Major students, Faculty of Education, Mahasarakham University, Thailand

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Why Storytelling in the Classroom Matters

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Jirapa006
ครูชำนาญการ
ครูชำนาญการ
Jirapa006

Why Storytelling in the Classroom Matters Empty
PostSubject: Why Storytelling in the Classroom Matters   Why Storytelling in the Classroom Matters Empty4th December 2015, 1:27 am

What is "storytelling"? Telling stories, of course! In 2014, there are so many diverse, wonderful, and sometimes overwhelming ways to do this. What I want to explore is traditional, oral storytelling, which has been a part of human life since we first left Africa 200,000 or more years ago. Perhaps storytelling was the reason language developed in the first place, as our minds began to inquire, wonder, think.

Why Do We Tell Stories?
Whether in caves or in cities, storytelling remains the most innate and important form of communication. All of us tell stories. The story of your day, the story of your life, workplace gossip, the horrors on the news. Our brains are hard-wired to think and express in terms of a beginning, middle and end. It's how we understand the world.

Storytelling is the oldest form of teaching. It bonded the early human communities, giving children the answers to the biggest questions of creation, life, and the afterlife. Stories define us, shape us, control us, and make us. Not every human culture in the world is literate, but every single culture tells stories.

Can You Be a Storyteller and a Teacher?
You already are. Teachers are storytellers, and storytellers have been teachers for millennia. In reality, teachers don't see themselves as storytellers. Or rather, they see the occasional storyteller and think it's a theatrical, exaggerated show more akin to acting. But hang on a minute -- being a teacher definitely involves acting and theatrics.

Interactive Storytelling
It is important at this stage that I describe my particular style. I don't rely on just "speaking" the story. I don't sit still in a chair. I talk slowly, with alternating rhythm. I walk around. I use my hands a lot. And, most importantly, I invite children from the audience to act out the story as I tell it. They dress up in funny hats and other props, and they follow the instructions in the story and repeat the dialogue I say. I stop and start the story a lot, asking the audience to contribute sound effects, to answer questions, to make suggestions.

The Many Benefits to Storytelling
When you tell your first story, there is a magical moment. The children sit enthralled, mouths open, eyes wide. If that isn't enough reason, then consider that storytelling:

Inspires purposeful talking, and not just about the story -- there are many games you can play.
Raises the enthusiasm for reading texts to find stories, reread them, etc.
Initiates writing because children will quickly want to write stories and tell them.
Enhances the community in the room.
Improves listening skills.
Really engages the boys who love the acting.
Is enjoyed by children from kindergarten to the end of elementary school.
Gives a motivating reason for English-language learners to speak and write English.
That last point has really proven powerful this year. My school is 97 percent English-language learners, and I have many children in my class who arrived speaking little or no English. The single biggest factor to their incredible progress in English has been their wanting to become storytellers.

So How Do You Become a Storyteller?
I recommend the following:

Read as many different world folktales, fables, myths, and legends as you can.
Watch professional storytellers and take notes about how they do it. Every storyteller is different, and you can learn something from them all.
Build your confidence by reading your students picture books or chapter books with an interesting voice. Stop to ask questions. Make the book reading interactive. It will help you create a shared event with a story.
Pick stories with small numbers of characters and repeating events, as these are easiest to remember. Having said that, pick any story you like -- no, that you love! If it captivates you, it will captivate the younger ones, too.
Write the stories down in a notebook. Writing helps you remember a story, and it models the same to the children.
When you start "telling" your story, it's OK to have the book nearby and to take a look at it if you forget a part. Don't be too hard on yourself. You are a student again.
Get yourself a "prop box" made of old bits of linen, and fill it with hats from charity shops and random objects that children can use imaginatively. I got a lot of my materials from recycling centers.
So What's Next?
Sure, becoming a storyteller takes effort and inclination on your behalf, but with so many benefits, isn't it worth trying? You might surprise yourself. You will certainly surprise your students. In relatively little time, you can be telling stories, running storytelling clubs, capturing the attention of the whole school assembly, contributing to school events and PD training schedules. I never thought I would be doing any of this when I started my teacher training seven years ago.
Back to top Go down

Why Storytelling in the Classroom Matters
Page 1 of 1