EngEDU 1/2015
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

EngEDU 1/2015

Forum for English Major students, Faculty of Education, Mahasarakham University, Thailand

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Classroom Language: Instructions for the Games

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Dolnapa051
รมต. กระทรวงศึกษาธิการ
รมต. กระทรวงศึกษาธิการ
Dolnapa051

Classroom Language: Instructions for the Games Empty
PostSubject: Classroom Language: Instructions for the Games   Classroom Language: Instructions for the Games Empty30th November 2015, 7:10 pm

You can use the instruction below to give your student correct directions Very Happy

1-2-3-4 Whiteboards

• I have 6 rows of students and there are 4 students in each row. Each row is a team (6 teams of 4 students). The first person in each row is #1, the second #2 etc.
• I give a vocab word or subject& verb in English and everyone writes the TL word or verb form on their whiteboard.
• I roll the die and call out the number (in my class only 1-4). If I call "2", the 2s from each team hold up their whiteboards and get a point if it's right. If one row has only 3 students, the students take turns being #4.

Bingo
• Student boards should have the target language (TL) or pictures. Teacher (or a student) calls out words in English (if student boards have TL words) or TL (if boards have pictures).
• If student has five in a row marked, he/she calls “Bingo.” To verify, have neighboring students check the board as the student says the words in both languages. If verified, student wins that round. (I usually allow two winners per round).
• If multiple students have rows completed at the same time, the first to call “Bingo” is the winner (if verified).
• Variation—have students put boards in sleeve protectors and mark the squares with a dry-erase marker.
• I keep bingo chips in film canisters to speed passing them out and collecting them.
• I use binder clips & paper clips to keep sets of boards & the call-out cards together in my files

Fruit Salad
• The game has many popular variations and may also be called Paintbox, Tornado, etc.
• Assign each student one word out of a set of four or five.
• Arrange the seats in a circle, with one fewer than the number of students in the class.
• The leftover student stands in the middle. He/She calls out a word.
• All the students who have that word must change seats. They must get up and scramble for a new seat. They may not sit in the same seat they just left. The student who was in the middle is also trying to get a seat.
• Whoever is left standing continues the game by calling a different word.
• The player in the middle can also call “Fruit Salad” in which case everybody has to scramble.
• The game involves lots of movement, and must be monitored so it doesn’t become rough.
• It could also be played based on clothing (everyone wearing “white shoes” or “blue shirts” must scramble, etc.) or other categories.

Guess Who (for descriptive practice)
• Copy and paste 30 male faces (all races, ages, appearances, etc...) and under each face write a target language first name. Then do the same thing on another document for 30 female faces. Print out 15 color copies of each. Have a color transparency made of each.
• First, practice with the class using the pics on the overhead and describing men or women and they have to guess who it is. Then, they describe a few and you have to guess who it is. Then pair them up and each 2 kids get a matching printout (either the men page or the women page) and they have to ask YES/NO questions only in the target language to try to figure out which is their opponent's secret person (like in the board game)
• If you put it in a page protector, they can use a dry-erase marker to eliminate anyone who doesn't fit their yes/no criteria. (Ex: Is he blond? Does he have big ears?, etc..)

Hangman – a classic way to practice the alphabet and vocabulary

• On the board or on an overhead, write out blanks representing the number of letters in a vocabulary word.
• Have the students take turns guessing a letter (in the TL). If the letter is in the word, write it in the appropriate blank(s). If the letter is not in the word, draw the next piece of the hanged man (1-head, 2-torso, 3-arm, 4-arm, 5-leg, 6-leg).
• If they guess the word before the drawing is done, they win. If not, you win.
• For an alternative, build a different picture. For example in the winter make a "snowperson." So it is exact same idea as "Hangman" only instead of drawing a person hanging draw a snowperson (3 snowballs, eyes, nose, arms, hat, etc.). (In October, draw a spider—the body and all 8 legs). Just like in “Hangman" they try to solve the puzzle before my picture is complete.
• Another variant is a team “race” based on the principle of the Hangman game. Two racers race to the finish line. Get a letter right, your player moves forward. Get a letter wrong, the opponent runner(s) moves forward. First to finish line wins. The distance traversed is based on number of letters in the message so that you do not reach the finish line until the message was completely solved. (I use the little “magnet men” to race across the board. Multiple teams can play, with different colored “men”)

More details: http://ms.loganhocking.k12.oh.us/~madame/teacher/presentations/Games.html
Hope this helpful:D

Dolnapa 051 3EN
Back to top Go down

Classroom Language: Instructions for the Games
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
EngEDU 1/2015 :: Classroom Language (CL)-
Jump to: